Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Cooking update

I did some good cooking last week. On Thursday I made bacon and potato tacos with a cucumber avocado salsa (yum!). This weekend I made lemon zest buttermilk gluten free pancakes on a hand-me-down griddle(!). Sadly, there are no pancake pictures.


You may recognize the above as bacon.


I bought a new cookbook: The Science of Good Cooking. Some of the "science" reminds me of introductory biology was like in high school. "Facts" appear out of thin air to explain the physical processes of cooking. It's a little unsatisfying. But I did use a new recipe for home fries from the book that produced very good results (add baking soda to boiling water before blanching the potatoes!). Crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside.


Cucumber avocado salsa is always delicious. The cucumber makes this lighter than a typical avocado guacamole, and it's perfect for something heavy like a bacon potato taco.


The finished product, with a little tomato on top. Very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment